• slider_1.jpg
  • RenewOnline.jpg
  • slider_2.jpg
  • IOC-Banner.jpg

Still at school? Looking to start college?

Whether you are still at school and are contemplating a career in carpentry or have already started along that path, the internet can be a minefield of information.  So we've put together these pages on our website to try and help! 

Still at school?
If you're still at school and you're interested in a future in carpentry, then you may well be trying to work out which GCSEs to take.  There's no official guidance available about which subjects to take but English, Maths and Resistant Materials and Science are all relevant. You may also want to consider what the entry requirements would be for you to start an apprenticeship later on in your career.  More importantly, you should also familiarise yourself with shapes, left and right hand images and spacial awareness. You can learn more about carpentry/construction as a career at GoConstruct

Finished school?

Due to the introduction of the Apprenticeship Standards in England, the Construction Apprenticeship skyline has changed dramatically. For Carpentry Apprenticeships the programmes now run for 18 – 24 months and in this time you will complete an NVQ by collating evidence from the workplace and you will attend college to receive the required training needed to prepare you for your End Point Assessments. The End Point Assessment will consist of a Multiple choice question exam and a one full day practical assessment. The End Point Assessment is designed to assess the range of Carpentry skills you have learned and acquired during your apprenticeship. On successful completion of your Carpentry Apprenticeship standard you may be able to progress onto an Advanced Carpentry Apprenticeship standard. The Advanced Carpentry Apprenticeship standard follows the same format and structure as the Carpentry Apprenticeship standard except the duration is 12 months. Credit: J Howe. 

There are three strands to a Standard. These are Skills, Knowledge and for the first time, we have “behaviors”. It is not yet clear how this part will be assessed, however it is thought that this will take the form of an interview or scenarios. 

A good starting point would be to contact your local IOC Member College.  Alternatively, if there are not currently any near enough to you, then do contact your local college to see if they run relevant courses and then go and speak with them about funding and the possibility of obtaining an apprenticeship.  They may well know of local companies who are willing to take on apprentices. You could also check our Find a Professional listings to see if there are any IOC members local to you who may be able to help as well as looking at the Government's Apprenticeship website, Talentview Construction (brought to you from the Construction Talent Retention Scheme (CTRS) with support from the Construction Leadership Council, CITB and a range of employers, industry bodies, professional institutions, colleges and construction unions) and/or the CITB apprenticeship website.

If you are a student attending a recognised college course in one of the wood trades, then you may be eligible for free student membership to the IOC. 


transparent gif